Monday, May 2, 2016

Meeting the Pediatrician

Before the visit:

I am super nervous about meeting the right pediatrician.  A Doctor that's in sync with what we're looking for, friendly & nearby.  As first time parents Eric & I both know there will be lots of questions, anxiety & nervousness on our end; especially during the first couple months after baby is born.  So someone who understands this is our first go round with an infant is also key.

Our OB, family & a few others in between all suggested one place which made choosing who to set up our first interview with super easy.  Plus two locations, one less than five minutes from our home & the second no more than fifteen, was a huge bonus.

So to get ready I scheduled a prenatal visit which includes a tour, meeting one of the Doctors & a chance to ask any questions we might have.  Then I started researching what others looked for during their interviews & found this amazing article by Fit Mama 4 Life.  In addition to her suggested questions, I'm also adding:

- Is a lactation consultant in house or suggested one nearby.
- Are same day sick appointments offered.
- What medications (i.e. Infant Tylenol) should we always have on hand at home.
- Are all visits handled by a Doctor or are well baby visits typically done with a Nurse Practitioner?

After the visit:

Looking back I have no idea why I was so nervous about this because we couldn't have asked for a better first interview (& last because I don't even want to look anywhere else).  The Doctor answered nearly all of my questions before I even asked, which was a huge check mark in their favor.  The entire office was spotless & organized, a second plus.  And turns out we were visiting with the same pediatrician Eric went to, just in a newly remodeled space (what are the odds of that one??).

This visit was our last scheduled tour or class which is making me reflect back on everything we've done to prepare for baby L & what I still need to feel ready to bring that little guy home next month (squeal!!).

Which led me to the conclusion that everything will never be 100% ready.  There will be frantic last minute emails before being away from my business, all of our current family photos will not be organized (sniff sniff), there will probably be dirty dishes in the sink & the dogs will not be fully trained but that's okay.  All of it is okay & will be perfect in it's imperfection.  Now on to finish painting that dresser from our Nursery Inspiration post...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!